- Address and delivery schedule
- Magazines and newspapers
Address format & delivery scheduleExpand all Collapse all
The following address and format should be used for undergraduate mail, where #### denotes the student's UNI. From autumn 2021, the student’s UNI will act as a mailbox number. If you are a junior or senior who was assigned a mailbox number in previous years, it will still be valid; However, you can also access your mail using your UNI instead of your mailbox number if you wish.
Full name of the student
#### Columbia Student Mail
70 Morningside Drive
New York, NY 10027-7236
Web forms can vary in how your address can be submitted. Try to include your #### UNI using one of the lines normally provided: either address 1, address 2 or apartment.
The word 'box' should never be used in the address. Mail should never be sent to a student's dormitory address. The student mail center is located in the basement of the Wien Hall.
Mail delivery schedule
The student mail center usually receives a delivery every day. All incoming mail is processed within 24 hours, excluding weekends and university holidays.
All 1st class mail and small packages are received on a morning delivery by the USPS. Post received before 12:00 noon can be picked up by the students within 24 hours.
Mail received after 12:00 noon can usually be picked up by students on the same day, but may not be available until the next day depending on the volume of incoming mail to be processed.
Parcels are scanned upon arrival at the student mail center in Vienna Hall. Students will be notified by email when packages are ready for collection.
If you have large or numerous packages, visit the Columbia Undergraduate Housing Hospitality Desk at Hartley Hall to borrow a moving box before collecting your package (s) at the Vienna Student Mail Center.
If you are a current CC or SEAS student in Columbia Housing and require an accessible parcel locker to accommodate a disability or temporary injury, please contact Disability Services at[Email protected]or 212-854-2388.Expand all Collapse all
Due to storage restrictions, oversized bulk goods are only kept for up to seven days. After seven days, these items will be returned to the sender. Oversized packages are larger than: 24 'x 24' x 24 'and / or more than 25 pounds.
Students will be notified by email when they receive a package that is clearly marked as “perishable”. The student mail center has limited capacity to refrigerate perishable goods; Such deliveries are kept for up to seven days and then discarded. Students should ensure that packages containing perishable goods are properly addressed.
Package Return Guideline
With the exception of oversized parcels and deliveries containing perishable goods, parcels are held for up to 14 days. If the package is not picked up within the first seven days, the student will receive an email informing them that the package should be returned within seven days. Due to storage restrictions, packages cannot be kept longer than required.
To track packages delivered to or from the Student Mail Center, you will need to know the name of the shipping carrier and the tracking number. You can track your parcel online through the relevant provider:
Lockers after hours
Out of hours lockers provide access to important mail or parcels when the post center is closed. Lockers are located in the basement of the Wien Hall and are available on request. How it works:
- The lockers are only accessible when the student mail center is closed.
- The space in the lockers is limited and therefore use is prioritized for critical needs, such as:
- Medication (shelf life only, lockers are not refrigerated)
- Time-critical materials (e.g. working papers, ID cards)
- Valuables (e.g. cell phone, laptop)
- There are a total of 28 lockers, the largest of which is 22x16x13.5 (LxWxH). Oversized packages are not eligible for lockers.
- To request a locker, students should reply to the email notification they receive when a mail or package has arrived.
- Lockers cannot be reserved for mail or parcels before they are received and processed in the Student Mail Center.
- Students who cannot reach up or stoop should indicate that a mid-level locker is required.
- The email request must be received by 3:00 p.m. on the day the locker is needed to be considered.
- Until 5:00 p.m. Student Mail will send a confirmation email with a 6-digit PIN to open the locker.
- If the item is not picked up by 9:00 a.m. the following morning, the item will be removed from the locker and returned to the student mail center for collection. The student will not receive any further email notifications.
Magazines and newspapers
Magazines and newspapers are held until the next issue arrives. If it is not used, the old magazine will be returned to the sender.